As explained in the previous theme, your employer is obliged to provide you with a safe and healthy work environment. But employers can go a step further and address health in a broader way, through workplace health promotion. Simply put, this means that they promote a healthy lifestyle by providing a health-promoting work environment and working conditions conducive to health.
Examples of how employers can promote health are:
- Providing health education, training on health related topics;
- Ensuring a good work-life balance, e.g. by allowing flexible working arrangements such as work from home (teleworking);
- Promoting a healthy diet, e.g. by providing healthy food options in the canteen;
- Promoting physical activity, e.g. by installing showers so that you can go for a run during lunch break, or offering financial assistance for recreational activities;
- Promoting professional development; and
- Organising training on time management.
Do you have some ideas about ways your employer could help you to stay healthy? Why not share them and encourage your employer to implement a workplace health promotion programme?